June 2010, it was Star Week. It was almost 5 in the afternoon that we started to talk. I knew him as one of our orientors during the Frosh Orientation Program. He was known as one of the "cute" dancers who did an intermission during the Theater Program in the Frosh Orientation Program (FOP). While every girl was gushing about how graceful he danced or how handsome he was, I was busy organizing the whole event together with the other student volunteers.
We were so different from each other. While I was the grumpy old lady, he was the knight in shining armor. He was the calm one, I was the hysterical one. We had different beliefs and approaches when it comes to solving our problems. But what really drew us together was that I liked him and he didn't mind it at all (teka, you didn't mind diba? Or hindi mo lang talaga alam?) And of course, there's the curiosity of the different practices of our religion and that, like me, he too was very active in the school activities.
Throughout my second college life, he was there. He was my partner in crime in every event we organized. When I was becoming too controlling, he would be the one to remind me to chill. When I was too crazy, he would join my craziness and we would cause trouble. When I was down, he would go wherever I was and comfort me. I think these attributes of him were the very reason that made me fall for him. And because of those feelings that I became attached to him. It was because of those feelings that made me want to know who he really was.
But why did I say that he was the unexpected best friend? Because all those 3 years that I was in love with him, he never became my boyfriend. Even after all the things I did for him, we didn't became a couple. Never did I knew if he even felt the same way as well. But what I realized during those 3 years was, I was creating a relationship more meaningful than a romantic relationship. It was one of those relationships that even though you didn't spoke for weeks or months, you know that the next time you see each other it's as if you've just seen each other the day before.
I know I've said this before in my letters to you on your special days. But I just want to say these things again:
We've been through a lot. we've had our share of crazy days, of weird days, of stormy days, of blah days. You taught me a lot of things like, how to enjoy various dates (with you) without saying anything, how to trust other people, how to enjoy every moment, how to dream big (as in crazy, weird, big dreams), and how to give without expecting. Thank you. Thank you for letting me stay. Thank you that even though you knew before how I felt, you still let me stay by your side. That you accepted me and tried to understand me. Thank you for trusting me. I will always be honored to be your best friend. Now that you are graduating, I pray that your career flourished even more. That you touch more lives as you have touched mine. Continue inspiring the younger generation to keep believing in their dreams and to never give up no matter what. You are special Teddy Bear. And no amount of words can describe how excited I am to see you grow in this new road you are about to take. Just always remember that I will always be by your side, cheering you. You were the unexpected best friend that I will always treasure. I love you Teddy Bear. Congratulations! ❤
Your sexytary, president of your fans club, #1 enemy, and madramang best friend,
Katty :)
PS. Kinikilig pa rin ako sa sinabi mong: "Who would want to lose someone like a Katty Real 😊"

